Saturday 6 October 2018

Book Review: Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow

Hey guys! So a little while ago Siobhan Curham kindly sent me her latest release, Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow to review. I was immensely excited and I've been really slow on my reading lately (even more so recently) but this book has managed to get me through a slump.


Blurb


Fourteen year-old Stevie lives in Lewes with her beloved vinyl collection, her mum...and her mum's depression. When Stevie's mum's disability benefits are cut, Stevie and her mum are plunged into a life of poverty. But irrepressible Stevie is determined not to be beaten and takes inspiration from the lyrics of her father's 1980s record collection and dreams of a life as a musician. The she meets Hafiz, a talented footballer and a Syrian refugee. Hafiz's parents gave him their life savings to buy Hafiz a safe passage to Europe; his journey has been anything but easy. Then he meets Stevie...

As Stevie and Hafiz's friendship grows, they encourage each other to believe in themselves and follow their dreams.


Review


I was really excited about starting this book as I love to read new authors' work. I didn't expect the story to grip me the way it did but it was so moving. I felt like I was transported into Stevie and Hafiz's world and it reminded me of the Jacqueline Wilson books I used to read.

Stevie and Hafiz's relationship is something to admire; they are both from extremely different backgrounds but both have their best interests at heart. This isn't a book about the guy getting the girl, but about the strength friendship gives you.

This story is so important for people to read because Hafiz is a refugee and the video he makes for assembly is actually moving. It's so realistic and Curham outlines the heartbreak that can come from being a refugee. She writes so eloquently about the crisis and details everything from the papers that Hafiz needed to get into the UK, to the journey he took and the sights he saw on the way. It was heartbreaking to read but sends a really important message to those who don't know about the crisis.

It's also an important read to those who know someone with depression or want to know more about it; Stevie's mum is anxious and has depression which is hard on her and Stevie. The fact that she can't work and is relying on benefits is a true crisis here in Britain. There are too many people who have mental health problems who don't receive help and have their benefits cut.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and the journey that both Hafiz and Stevie go on. Stevie's struggles with poverty and Hafiz's problems with bullying both highlight current problems and I think this book is a must read for anyone wanting to know more about these issues. The characters were so lovable and I really rooted for all of them.

I can't wait to read more of Curham's work and I'm so glad books like this exist.

Until next time, love, Vee x

7 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting and I am now honestly considering buying "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow"!! Thank you so much for the recommendation! :)

    Malena https://malenablogs.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really different and interesting. Will add it to my TBR list!

    Nicola
    http://nicshealthylife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such an interesting book that I'd love! Definitely adding it to my TBR list :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to hear of a recommendation concerning depression.

    Joy at http://www.thejoyousliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your review! I’m going to look into this book. From an immigrant point of view and the fact that my mom suffered depression for it as well as anxiety, I think I’ll be able to relate or at least understand a bit more about... life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds excellent! I always love a book that discusses socially relevant topics. Your review was insightful and I'm glad it led me to this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like an interesting read. Great review BTW!

    ReplyDelete