Saturday 25 August 2018

Poetry Review: Light Filters In

Hi guys! I've recently been reading lots more poetry and one of the collections I've read is Light Filters In by Caroline Kaufman. This was also an impulse buy! I'll be reviewing and showing you some of my favourite poems from the collection.


Review


Light Filters In is about being human and how fragile we are. The book is split up into four sections: The Darkness Falls. The Night Persists, The Dawn Breaks and The Sun Rises. This collection is written with honesty and Kaufman has opened up about her life with depression, self harm and abusive relationships and much more.

I liked the fact that being human and science were the main themes of the book as I'm also an atheist and even if some of the poems are very morbid, they're true, honest. Planets, stars and light are also mentioned throughout; the contrast between light and dark is also similar to depression and happiness.

Kaufman says that the destination isn't happiness, because after all, we won't always be happy a hundred per cent of the time. It's all about the journey, and sometimes the journey is messy and sad, but other times it's happy and joyful. I think that this book is mostly about recovery and how to cope in the bad times and how to release and feel joy in the good times. It's a wonderful read and I highly recommend it for anyone recovering or perhaps even going through depression, anxiety or suicidal thoughts. It does get better - Kaufman is living proof of that. And so are you!

Overall, I wasn't sure about the theme at the start of the book as it was quite dark, but, like the theme, it gets lighter, it gets better and I really loved how clever the writing was.

Now I'm going to show you some of my favourite poems from the collection. If you have read Light Filters In, let me know what you thought in the comments.





If you have any poetry recommendations, let me know! Until next time, love, Vee x

No comments:

Post a Comment