Saturday 11 August 2018

Poetry Review: Pillow Thoughts

Hey guys! I hope you're having a wonderful weekend of relaxing and reading. I recently read Pillow Thoughts by Courtney Peppernell and I instantly fell in love with the way she uses her words. It was an impulse buy from Waterstones with my birthday voucher so I took a gamble to see if I liked it, and fortunately, it paid off. In this week's blog I'm going to be reviewing Pillow Thoughts and showing you some of my favourite poems.


My Review


I bought three poetry books recently and Pillow Thoughts was one of them. Pillow Thoughts is broken down into 10 sections including 'If You Are In Love,' 'If You Are Sad,' and 'If You Need A Reason To Stay.' Therefore, you can read them for any occasion and when you are feeling different emotions. I read the entire way through and could relate to so many of the poems - especially the long distance ones. My partner and I were long distance for three years and to read about all the feelings I used to feel, was enlightening. I used to feel so alone and thought the distance would never end.

I also related strongly to the 'If You Need A Reason To Stay' section as this had encouraging poems to comfort me. The way Courtney uses metaphors is beautiful and even if some of the poems seem easy to write, you can still relate to them but you would have never thought to write in that way.

I really enjoyed reading this collection and I'm looking forward to reading Pillow Thoughts II: Healing The Heart. I love modern poetry such as Amanda Lovelace's, Rupi Kaur's and Atticus' work and I think I just found a new favourite poet.

Now I'm going to show you some of my favourite poems from Pillow Thoughts! Let me know in the comments whether you've read it and what you thought!


See you next week. Love, Vee x

3 comments:

  1. I love reading but I don't often read poetry. I might have to give this a go! You can find my blog here: cornishmaidblog.com Thanks for sharing! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've definitely got me in the mood for some poetry! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this poetry review! I really enjoy reading poetry, but a lot of book blogs seem to discuss only fiction. I appreciate your versatility and I'm hoping to read this collection in the future.

    ReplyDelete