Wednesday 23 May 2018

Book Review: Turtles All The Way Down

Hey guys! So as you may know, I'm a huge fan of John Green and have read all his books. I've been wanting to read Turtles All The Way Down for a long time and I finally finished it! I won't lie, it was hard to get into but you can definitely tell Green has put himself into his work once again, even if it isn't the masterpiece Looking For Alaska or Papertowns was. 

The book is about Aza and her struggle with OCD and I believe other mental illnesses. The book goes really in depth into this subject so it may be triggering for some.

I sympathized with Aza but I also didn't really like her personality. Her mental illness pulls her apart from her friends and family. However, there isn't much about Aza that we know.

Green didn't really give her character much build up...it was mostly about her illness and how this was her. The book is supposed to be this way but I did struggle with just reading about her thoughts and not having much background information. 
Although I know John Green's work is very trippy and quirky, it was a little bit dull for me.



I thought the descriptions and portrayal of mental illness was well thought out. But apart from that I felt like the characters weren't fully formed and the book only became exciting near the end. This book is pretty much all about reality like all his books - but with a twist. Even if it's far fetched, that's Green. He executes his work brilliantly but for me this isn't one of my favourites.

I liked the friendship between Aza and Daisy because it's real; they have arguments which is normal. Friends stick by you but they also tell you the truth. However, I think the relationships between the characters needed to be more in depth and I expected more mystery surrounding Pickett's disappearance.  It was mostly about Aza's condition, which in the general scheme of things is what Green is trying to portray. That mental illness is all consuming. This is such a powerful book so I won't spoil it for you! I was just left a little confused and disappointed with the story line.

However, books like these are so important to have for people to understand mental illness; it gets inside the mind and I must admit I have had intrusive thoughts - everyone does - so maybe that is why I struggled with the theme.

Please let me know your thoughts about the book once you've read it; I'd love to know what other's opinions are.
Well, until next time. Love, Vee x

No comments:

Post a Comment