Saturday 8 September 2018

Favourite Book Covers

Well hello there fellow bookworms. I hope your week is going well! In this week's blog I'm going to be looking at some of my favourite book covers and asking you about yours!

Now, we are always told not to judge a book by its cover but I'm the complete opposite; as I work in marketing, the most crucial thing is a cover, poster, leaflet images etc. If the graphics are rubbish, there's no point in me picking it up. You know the covers I mean with the people on the front like they're from a teen chick flick? Yeah... that doesn't draw me in - it makes me want to run away.

The covers I love are bright with illustrations or interesting pictures. As long as it's creative and colourful, I will pick it up, even if I'm not sure about the story line. I'm going to be sharing the covers and blurbs from some of the books I love. Let's see if you prefer the cover or story line or hopefully both!

Autoboyography by Christina Lauren


Do I really have to say it? This cover is gorgeous because of the illustration and I'm a sucker for sunsets. Plus, there's a book on the book cover! What more could you want?

Blurb:


Three years ago, Tanner Scott’s family relocated from California to Utah, a move that nudged the bisexual teen temporarily back into the closet. Now, with one semester of high school to go, and no obstacles between him and out-of-state college freedom, Tanner plans to coast through his remaining classes and clear out of Utah.

But when his best friend Autumn dares him to take Provo High’s prestigious Seminar, where honor roll students diligently toil to draft a book in a semester, Tanner can’t resist going against his better judgment and having a go, if only to prove to Autumn how silly the whole thing is. Writing a book in four months sounds simple. Four months is an eternity.

It turns out, Tanner is only partly right: four months is a long time. After all, it takes only one second for him to notice Sebastian Brother, the Mormon prodigy who sold his own Seminar novel the year before and who now mentors the class. And it takes less than a month for Tanner to fall completely in love with him.

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

I bought this book because of the blurb but then fell in love with the cover! Needless to say I bought it and can't wait to read about a queen falling for a princess.

Blurb:


Betrothed since childhood to the prince of Mynaria, Princess Dennaleia has always known what her future holds. Her marriage will seal the alliance between Mynaria and her homeland, protecting her people from other hostile kingdoms.

But Denna has a secret. She possesses an Affinity for fire--a dangerous gift for the future queen of a land where magic is forbidden. Now Denna has to learn the ways of her new kingdom while trying to hide her growing magic. To make matters worse, she must learn to ride Mynaria's formidable warhorses before her coronation and her teacher is the person who intimidates her most, the prickly and unconventional Princess Amaranthine, sister of her betrothed. When a shocking assassination leaves the kingdom reeling, Mare and Denna reluctantly join forces to search for the culprit.

As the two work together, they discover there is more to one another than they thought--and soon their friendship is threatening to blossom into something more. But with dangerous conflict brewing that makes the alliance more important than ever, acting on their feelings could be deadly. Forced to choose between their duty and their hearts, Mare and Denna must find a way to save their kingdoms--and each other.

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

I saw the cover of this book on a fellow Instagrammer's page and fell in love with it and the story. It turned out to be one of my most favourite books I've ever read! And it was outside of my comfort zone which is a big plus. 

Blurb:


Lucy and Gabe meet in New York on a day that will change their lives – and the world – forever. As the city burns behind them, they kiss for the very first time. Over the next thirteen years they are torn apart, then brought back together, time and time again. It’s a journey of dreams, of desires, of jealousy, of forgiveness – and above all, love. And as Lucy is faced with a devastating choice, she wonders whether their love is a matter of destiny or chance.


Geekerella by Ashley Poston


Obviously this was another impulse buy because of the cover... And I loved the story line too!

Blurb:


Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot.

With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad s old costume), Elle s determined to win unless her stepsisters get there first. Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons before he was famous. Now they re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he's ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob.

As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again? Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. You can read my blog post on Geekerella here

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour


Even though I haven't purchased it yet, I really can't wait to read this. The cover is so pretty and unique and I purely would love it for the photos if I'm honest! Although the story line seems quite interesting.

Blurb:


Marin hasn't spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she's tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit and Marin will be forced to face everything that's been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.


Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia


This cover is cute and modern and everything I adore. I can't wait to get my hands on the hardcover! The story line reminds me of Fangirl and Geekerella so if you have read either of these, it might be a good idea to try this one out.

Blurb:


Eighteen-year-old Eliza Mirk is the anonymous creator of Monstrous Sea, a wildly popular webcomic, but when a new boy at school tempts her to live a life offline, everything she’s worked for begins to crumble. In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, smart, and friendless.

Online, Eliza is LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of a popular webcomic called  Monstrous Sea With millions of followers and fans throughout the world, Eliza’s persona is popular. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves her digital community.

Then Wallace Warland transfers to her school, and Eliza begins to wonder if a life offline might be worthwhile. But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.

Let me know in the comments what your favourite book covers are so I can check them out! Until next time, love Vee x

3 comments:

  1. I totally do judge a book by its cover 😂 Recently I'm into the minimal ones. Your post has given me some reading suggestions as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Light We Lost one is pretty! My favourites book covers are Harry Potter Ravenclaw edition (1) because I'm one and 2) I love blue lol), strange the dreamer and the cruel prince.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to explore bookshops and it usually the covers I judge! The light we lost looks stunning :)

    ReplyDelete