Wednesday 5 September 2018

Book Review: What Nobody Knew

Hey book lovers! I was recently asked to review What Nobody Knew by Amelia Hendrey. It's a book about her life growing up in an abusive environment around her dad and step mum. It's a story of abuse, violence, coming to terms with life and how to get by on your own. I recommend not reading this if you will be triggered by the abuse and violence.

Trigger Warning


This review contains sensitive content such as abuse, violence, rape and suicide. Please stop reading at any point if you feel triggered by these events.

Review


I have wanted to read Amelia's book, What Nobody Knew, for a while now so when she messaged me asking if I would like to review a copy, I jumped at the chance. I knew it would be a hard read, having gone through abuse myself, but it was even more graphic than I expected.

However, I think that it's important that Amelia went into so much detail of the violence, as it will open up people's eyes to what really happens behind closed doors. Amelia's story is an important one and lays out what it's like to have to keep quiet when you know you'll get hurt if you tell anyone what is really going on.

Domestic abuse is still a taboo topic. I know that there are organisations out there spreading the message - I even worked for a domestic abuse charity and heard the awful things that people were going through. But we need more coverage out there. 1 in 3 women and 1 in 5 men experience domestic abuse in their lifetime, and over 750,000 cases of child abuse are reported in the UK each year. We need books like Amelia's to bring to light what happens behind closed doors.


As you can probably tell, I am very passionate about this subject, so receiving a copy of this book was really interesting to me. I've never read anything like it. The closest I've gotten to reading about abuse is in Jacqueline Wilson's Lola Rose, which I adored.

Reading about how Amelia was abandoned by her mum as a child and brought up with an alcoholic, abusive father was scary. I can't imagine how she must have felt. The book mentions suicide because sometimes that feels like the only way out of such a terrifying situation.

I remember reading it thinking, it can't get worse than this, it just can't. She described her dad beating her, punching her and throwing her down the stairs. I thought it would get better as she went to boarding school as they couldn't hurt her anymore. But I was wrong. There are, of course, the holidays where you go back home. And that's when it got worse. This part of the book goes into detail about rape and how Amelia had to go to court to take her father to prison. It's such a devastating feeling knowing that rape happens, but when you're reading about it and the repercussions that it has, it is truly heartbreaking and eye-opening.

This book is a must read and we need more books like this to help people speak up. You don't have to go through it alone. Amelia thought she did. She had no one and then when she found people willing to help her, there was hope. It's heartbreaking and tragic but there's also a message of hope. Don't give up the fight.

Until next time, love, Vee x

2 comments:

  1. I am always amazed people have the courage to write such experiences. There were times my own childhood was less than normal but nothing to this extent and I have just blocked stuff out - and been recommended to leave it that way by a doctor who considers I function well although scarred and trying to open it all up would carry a risk of me being less able to function. It has such a lasting impact - you try to deny being a victim but unless you accept you are damaged you will struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you that we need more books like this, especially ones that treat the sensitive topics well. Abuse is an important topic that has been taboo for too long. If we don't talk about it, read about it, and learn about it, then how are we supposed to do anything about it?

    Thanks for the great review!

    Tessa @ Crazy for YA

    ReplyDelete