Saturday 16 June 2018

Pride Month - My Story

Hey guys. Happy Pride Month! How are you celebrating?

This blog is going to be a little different this month as I talk about my experiences in the LGBT+ community. I will also be sharing some events that are going on in the UK this year for anyone wanting to celebrate Pride.

My LGBT+ Story


I don't like to put labels on people or myself because I don't believe I should put myself in a box. But I also like having some sort of label there so that I know who I am and can better explain it to people. I hope that makes sense! I'm pansexual which means I'm attracted to people regardless of their gender. I prefer using this label instead of bisexual as that seems to mean you are attracted to both genders. I may have got that wrong, but it makes sense for me to call myself pansexual.

I was never really exposed to the idea that my sexuality was anything but straight; I knew about gay people but it wasn't until I was in my teens and met my partner that I looked into all the different sexualities and genders. I started to experiment and found that I felt more masculine than feminine. I went for a few months buying boy's clothing, cut all my hair off and tried to hide my chest as much as possible.

After a while I started to miss my hair, missed my clothes and thought to myself, what if I'm not trans after all? I then started to think I may be genderfluid. This means that a person feels more masculine than feminine or more feminine than masculine on some days. I found this confusing at first but also read into non-binary. Non-binary means that a person feels like neither gender and dresses how they feel. I believe a part of me is still considering all these labels but for now, I'm going to go with the flow and see how I feel without putting myself in a box.

Feel free to share your LGBT+ stories below!


Pride Events


There are always Pride events going on but June and July are the best times to go - especially since it's Summer! Get your glitter on and dance like no one is watching at these fabulous events going on across the country 💗 See all events here.

If you don't feel comfortable going to Pride yet or you're not out to your family, then try hosting your own Pride event with a few friends. Have people over, order in a pizza and watch your favourite LGBT+ programme.  I hope your Pride Month is amazing, regardless of what you get up to.

That's all for now! See you next week. Love, Vee x

No comments:

Post a Comment