Saturday 30 June 2018

Book Review: Autoboyography

Hey guys! In this week's blog I'm going to be reviewing Christina Lauren's Autoboyography. Christina Lauren is actually the pen name for two authors called Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings who have co-written several novels together.

Overview

Autoboyography is about a teen called Tanner who lives in Provo and is finishing college. His best friend, Autumn, convinces him to join the Seminar where they have to write a book within four months. In the previous class, Sebastian, who is now the TA in Tanner's class, wrote a book the semester before and is now writing his second.

Tanner is bisexual and comes from a very accepting family (you'll be see plenty of Pride bumper stickers and PJs from his parents), but since moving from Palo Alto, Tanner's parents have sworn he keeps his sexuality to himself as everyone in the town is Mormon. This includes Sebastian, who Tanner has a crush on.

Soon, Tanner is struggling to write his story without including Sebastian in and his feelings overcome him. Will Tanner's feelings for Sebastian be reciprocated? Or will this go down in flames?

Review

I have so much to say about this book because it's been on my TBR pile for ages. I finally bought it (I'll admit the cover convinced me) and I instantly fell in love with the characters, especially Autumn, who I strongly believe needs her very own book in my opinion. She's so lovable and intriguing.

In my opinion, I didn't really warm to Sebastian but by the end I was totally smitten with the two of them! I enjoyed the plot of the book because it was centered around LGBT characters and creative writing. Although the Seminar didn't seem to play a big part at first, by the end it's the key element that makes this story beautiful. (You'll also love Fujita, the teacher.)


I was dubious about this read at first because there is so much religion within it and since I'm an atheist, I wasn't interested in reading about God or his plans for His Children. But I was pleasantly surprised that the book was written mostly about Sebastian's religion and didn't mock it in any way or try to 'recruit' people. Tanner's mum was brought up LDS and she had bad experiences with her parents and even though she absolutely hates the church, she welcomes Sebastian in with open arms. Also, everyone needs parents like Tanner's. They are so accepting and supportive, yet concerned about their children. It's the perfect balance - not overbearing but just the right amount of worried.

Also, Tanner is such a babe. That's right, I said it. He reminds me of myself (wow, smug) - creative but lacking the inspiration, falls head over heels in love and overthinks way too much. If he was any more confident or needy, he'd be annoying but he's actually the perfect amount of Tanner.

Sebastian's parents aren't open minded but this book doesn't portray them as being 'evil' or 'nasty,' but instead, they are seen as being brought up within such a tight knit, judgmental environment. Christina Lauren doesn't pass judgement on anyone in the book; but it's common sense to let people be themselves and that's what this story is trying to convey.

If you love LGBT+ novels and cheesy gestures, then you'll love this read. It's super easy to read and the characters are just so lovable.

I need to go make a petition for Christina Lauren to write a novel about Autumn Green. Go read this wonderful book now!

Until next time, love Vee x

No comments:

Post a Comment