Sunday 30 July 2017

Book Review #7: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Hello bookworms, writers and all creative peeps! This week's blog is a book review on Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn.

Overview

David and Rachel's book is about Nick and Norah who meet at a concert and Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend so that he can make his ex jealous. However, what they both don't know is, is that this 5 minute girlfriend fling will in fact lead them to a night of events that will bring them closer together...

Set in New York, this book is about getting over heartbreak, falling in love again and finding out you can meet the love of your life anywhere...


Review

As much as I love Levithan's writing, I couldn't help but roll my eyes and debate whether to chuck the book into a charity shop.

I wanted to go to David's talk about the book in London so I bought Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist; however I wasn't able to go and therefore was in no rush to read the book until now. I thought it would be an easy read where I could quickly and easily finish it. But unfortunately it took me a while to read because I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Aside from the swearing on every page, I just couldn't warm to Norah's cold, hard exterior nor Nick's personality. He was all over the place.

David's chapters were okay but Rachel's felt like she had tried too hard to see the world from the point of view of a teenager.

The book didn't really have any conflicts in it; David and Rachel tried too hard to make it into one of those life altering, life affirming books about teens finding themselves in New York.
The constant swearing really put me off because it also seemed like the authors thought teens just swear.

The overall theme of finding someone and falling in love is nice, although unrealistic as I don't believe responsible parents would allow their child, let alone someone else's, out all night.
The book was plain and felt rushed, like they had to meet a deadline. Don't get me wrong, I love David's books but this one has put me off reading anything else of Rachel Cohn's.

The thing I find the most absurd is that at the start of the night, Nick and Norah are still hung up on their exes but by the next morning they've fallen for each other. It just seems a bit far fetched. I did watch the movie before reading the book and both are very different and I definitely enjoyed the film more than the book.

However, if you are looking for a short read set in the heart of New York and you're a big punk rock music fan, then this is the book for you. 

I'm going to rate this book 1.5/5☆

Don't forget to tell me what you thought of the book down below ⇣

And if you'd like to see some of my bookish photos, follow my Instagram: neurotic.writer.ramblings




No comments:

Post a Comment