Tuesday 4 July 2017

Book Review #5: Geekerella by Ashley Poston

Well hello there! I'm glad you stopped to take a look at my review of Geekerella by Ashley Poston. I will be giving a brief overview about what Geekerella is about and then my review and thoughts on the book.


Overview

Geekerella is Ashley Poston's newest novel and it's about a girl who is obsessed with Starfield, a sci-fi TV series which is getting a film made out of it. Danielle - or Elle as she's referred to - lost her mother and father at a young age and she has to live with her wicked stepmother and step sisters; just like Cinderella. Elle's dad started a convention called Excelsicon for people to come together and celebrate different fandoms. Elle decides to enter a cosplay contest at the con with her parents clothes to try to win tickets so she can move to LA, far away from her evil stepmother.

Elle starts texting a random stranger about Excelsicon and they start to bond - little does she know this person is Darien Freeman, the actor to play Carmindor in Starfield's new reboot. And she is not happy! She believes Darien is just a self obsessed guy with abs.

This book is all about fandoms coming together, love, friendship and finding out who you are.

Review

I had high expectations for Geekerella since I had seen that almost everyone on Instagram has a copy; I had to see what all the fuss was about - and get my hands on that beautiful cover! And trust me, this book delivered.

Even though I didn't understand some fandom references, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this magical book about a girl finding her feet in an impossible world. And it is set out like Cinderella, so of course I will love anything fairy tale like! Ashley makes us hope for a better life for Elle and the book keeps us on the edge of our seats till the very last chapter. We want to know how it ends even though fairy tales usually end happily ever after.

I really enjoyed how witty Ashley made the characters, how she made the dialogue come alive and my favourite character has got to be Sage, Elle's best friend since she is such a bad ass!

Ashley captures what I imagine it would be like to be a movie star in a world where none of your secrets are private, where your social life is an open book for all to read. Darien wants a normal life outside of his acting career and Elle just wants someone to care for her after everything she's been through.

Geekerella teaches us that no one is perfect and that there is hope in this impossible world.

Throughout the book there are quite a few spelling errors which makes me cringe but apart from that I really enjoyed the characters and the plot. This is definitely one of my favourite reads of this year!

We see the characters unfold and step out of their shell slowly, the way it would happen in real life. This book is half fairy tale, half reality, giving us a perfect balance for fantasy and contemporary lovers alike.

Overall, I would rate this book 4.5/5☆

If you would like to learn more about Geekerella and Ashley Poston, just click here.

Don't forget to subscribe to my blog for my book reviews and ramblings!

You can also follow my Instagram: neurotic.writer.ramblings

Let me know in the comments what you thought of Geekerella!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Vada! It's @the_bookinsider from Instagram. I just thought I would stop by to say hello on your blog. I've seen this book around and now that I've read you're review, I really want to get my hands on it. It sound like a great book. Happy blogging!

    xoxo, Ashton
    www.ashtonmariesmith.com

    ReplyDelete