Monday 4 December 2017

Return to New York

Hey guys!

So Oli and I went back to New York last month and although I hate planes (as I mentioned before), I couldn't wait to plant my feet on to the New York pavement. This time, Oli bought an explorer pass to visit five attractions in New York.


Day One

On the first day - after a good night's sleep - we wandered down to our favourite place. That's right, Dunkin' Donuts for the best hot chocolate in the world.



We had a bit of a lazy day and walked around the Highline. We've walked the Highline before when it had snowed, but it was such a nice day and they always have art displays on the overgrown tracks. They are really interesting to read and the sights over the Highline always puts a smile on my face. Last time, when we went, the Red Arrows were flying over. We were incredibly lucky to see them as they weren't in the US for very long.

We got back to the hotel and then I had a look on Instagram and saw that there was a Taylor Swift Pop Up. So Oli and I rushed on to the subway and queued for two hours to get in to what Oliver called "a shop" (rolls eyes). However, Oli was kind enough to buy me some Taylor Swift pins and I took some photos of the outfits and I even used the same phone that Taylor used in her Look What You Made Me Do music video.


It turned out that Taylor showed up at the Pop Up 20 minutes after we left so obviously I cried like a little baby. However, I did get two Taylor magazines exclusive to Target so I was rather happy. As you can tell, it was the perfect time to visit New York - a day after the release of her album.


Day Two

The second day was slightly more chaotic as we made our way to the Empire State building. It was a bit foggy so we couldn't see a lot but the view was breathtaking - you could see everything. We spent a lot of money on souvenirs this time and even bought some Empire State chocolate. We then went to Taylor's house once again and then to the 9/11 museum. It was very strange and eerie seeing pictures of everyone who tragically died. It's an amazing place to see though and I highly recommend going.


We then made our way to the Statue of Liberty and bought more souvenirs in the gift shop (a Statue of Liberty Panda and Penguin. Yes, we are daft). It's surprisingly smaller than I thought it was but it was still a great sight to behold.

We then got on the boat to Ellis Island and went around the museum but we were so tired we could barely walk. The museum is great if you enjoy reading - but for us, we had walked so much we just wanted to sit down! I highly recommend going if you're interested in the history of Ellis Island. It's phenomenal how many people came through its doors to live in New York.


Day Three

On our last day, we had Dunkin' Donuts again (can you tell we're obsessed?) and made our way to the Intrepid Air, Sea and Space museum where we saw a space shuttle and bought astronaut ice cream. The space shuttle was huge and took us by surprise, It's crazy to think that something that big has gone to space.


With our legs buckling and being too tired to stand, we made our way (long way) to the Natural History museum through Central Park. I was too hungry to enjoy myself and we kept getting lost. One thing they need more of? Sign posts. However, the museum was interesting and the displays were well put together. There's so much rich history. I was mostly interested in the animals/bird displays so we wandered around those for a while. There's a makeshift forest in the middle of the museum and it does feel rather scary! There's also a huge dining hall where you can pay to spend the evening under a ginormous whale statue.

We had to make our way to the airport for our overnight flight and the turbulence on the plane was the worst I've felt - but I did manage to sleep for a while. It was sad to come back to the UK again. We hope we can go back again one day and stay a bit longer. And maybe even live there one day.


If you enjoy my blogs, please subscribe and follow my Instagram page: neurotic.writer.ramblings or my Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment